Person Arrested At Tacoma City Council Meeting


Today, a group of us went down to the Tacoma City Council meeting to talk during the public speaking section. After a couple of us had spoken our mind about the brutality of the police at the Port, Wally Cudderford (who was arrested and tazed 3 times on Saturday) got up to read something he had written. When he began shedding light on the fact that the TPD allowed their chief to use their resources to stalk his wife and connected that with how he did NOT expect the police to EVER be accountable for their actions, the council tried to silence him. When he continued to speak, a council member told the police to remove him from the building. They pulled his arms behind his back and dragged him out screaming in pain. They arrested him, put him in a cruiser and took him to jail. Luckily I was able to ask him if he wanted us to bond him out and he answered no.

Make no mistake about it, the police are human, true, but they are fucked up human beings empowered by the State to silence political dissent. This was another manifestation and points, along with what happened on Saturday, to an increase in the amount of force used to crush even the smallest amounts of dissent.

I just learned, as I was writing this, that Wally will be released from the Pierce County Jail. He will have his arraignment first at the County City Building on the 1st floor, room 134 at 9:30 in the morning. He was charged with obstructing a public servant and criminal trespace. If you are up, try to be there.


Felony assault charges dropped against Tacoma Port demonstrators

In a victory for the Tacoma resistance to the US troop surge in Iraq, a Pierce County Superior Court judge dismissed felony assault charges today against all three activists who were arrested at the Port of Tacoma after midnight on Sunday morning.

Wally Cuddeford, Caitlin Esworthy and Jeff Berryhill were amongst a crowd of demonstrators when police in riot gear entered the designated protest zone. One by one the three were pulled from the crowd.

Several witnesses have described how Cuddeford was thrown to the ground and dragged across the pavement. Cuddeford later added that he was Tasered three times while police held him down before dragging him away. Berryhill was holding a protest sign when, according to witnesses, police fired a projectile into his thigh from close range, knocking him to the ground.



add a comment on this article